Monday, February 09, 2015

The Imitation Game (7.5/10)

I really wanted to like this movie. After watching it, I did, just about.

But it did not blow me away. Its strange. I thought it was missing something, but I can't put my finger on the exact reasons. I just got the feeling in the end that it could have been better.

This is the story of Alan Turing. A brilliant mathematician who cracked the code the Nazis used to encrypt all their military communications during the second world war and consequently helped shorten the war.

The film has few obvious shortfalls. The inter-layering of the past and present could have been better. Perhaps they could have dispensed with it altogether. The acting was good overall.

Cumberbatch! Such a good actor. And for most of the movie he is outstanding. But sadly, a few times it seems like he's trying too hard. He should have been more restrained. Some of his emotional outbursts, while very good examples of acting, just seem out of context with the scene being played out.

On a more general note, I was shocked to find out that homosexuality was a criminal offence at that time. And even worse, there were hormonal "cures" for it. Seems absolutely barbaric!

No comments: