Monday, December 22, 2014

The Catcher in the Rye

I didn't get this book!

I'm not saying its badly written or anything. Thats not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that I didn't get it. Its just a long rant by a teenager that is completely understandable and extremely normal. What the main character feels and does is what almost any teenager would feel and do. So whats the big deal. This book is not full of some obscure revelations or anything.

What I mean is I don't get why this book is a classic. Its just a decent book. Nothing more. Just an insight into a teenage mind. Nothing profound. Nothing deep. Simple, obvious observations. No plot, no story, no beginning and no end. Just a recounting of three days in the life of a confused teenager. Sorry, I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I got the messages that others claim to have got from this book. All that stuff about things changing and all. Obviously its sad that life is ending and things change and we would like them to not change. But thats the key word there "OBVIOUS". I know these things. I don't need this book to remind me of them. And anyway, it just states them. Doesn't give a different, more profound take on them. Just states what I already think. You see? I don't see why it should be a classic for stating (while important) very, very obvious truths of life in the most simple of ways!

I don't get it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.
irenesn

Dreamcatcher said...

Sure. I'm more than open to discuss other points of view on this book. How do I get in touch with you?